Friday, September 14, 2007

Public Transport in Pattaya

This is what I mean when I said public transport: the public mini baht bus, known as the "Song Theow" in Pattaya. It's like a truck with seats & shelter at the back for the passengers. So, count your blessings if u r in Singapore enjoying the air-conditioned buses. But at least the Thai guys are more gentleman. Most of them will give up their seats to ladies.

And don't complain if your S'pore bus come one minute after the schedule time..... At least it comes and goes in a specific route. Here in Pattaya.... yes, these baht buses are quite frequent but u can't be sure of the route. I guess it depends on the mood of the driver. So, I always have to get off the baht bus once I see that the driver is not taking the "usual" route which I'm familiar with.

There is also this air-conditioned tourist bus service which is meant to take tourists around Pattaya. I'd on many occassions waited for this "friendly tourist bus" at the designated bus-stops but did not manage to catch one. I saw the bus on the opposite side of the road and convinced myself that if there's one on the opposite, there would be one in this direction that I'm waiting. Apparently, I'm wrong. It's not a 2-directional bus. Till now, I still haven't figured out its frequency and worse still, the route. My advice: Don't wait for this bus. Take it only when u see it.

The other common public transport is the motorbike taxi..... Take it only if u r in a hurry cos I feel that it's a bit too expensive.

No comments: