Friday, July 27, 2007

Busy, Busy...... But HAPPY :)

I had started to teach on my own this week. After one week, I feel that I'm so worn-out. The hours are nothing compared to my previous jobs but I guess it's the stress which you bring along with you when you are off class. Haiz! I think I'm making the same old mistake again. Didn't I promise myself that I should stop bringing work home? Well, maybe it's just so ME. I had to prepare for the classes, thinking on what to teach, how to teach. On top of that, I had to prepare my own assessments for my students. There are past assessments which the teachers can use but I feel that some of them needs to be improvised. And so, I had to spend time preparing my own set of assessments for my students. Other than that, I also have to prepare my own test papers..... It's like the students should have a test after each unit (which usually takes about 2 weeks to finish teaching). Given the wide differences in the standard of my students, preparing a set of test paper which is suitable for all is really a headache.

For my first class, initially, I had 10 students. However, as another class is closing down due to not enough teachers, I took in another 3 students. So, in total now I have 13 students. Unlucky number, huh? There are 2 students whom I may not be able to “rescue”, no matter how much effort I put in on them. Due to their handicap, they have serious problems speaking, not to mention understand the lesson. I can only do my best to teach them and also, hope that they can do well in their main subjects. Looking on the bright side, I feel that I might be able to “rescue” 4 of them and help them to do better.

I'm not so worried about my second class. Though they are thought to have the worse English standard in the whole school, I feel that they are "able to make it" if I put in more effort and patience with them.

Maybe “rescuing” as many students as possible shall be my goal for being a volunteer teacher here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see your mission "to rescue as many as your efforts allow you". Like the starfish story (you heard before?). I believed that's the motto a teacher should lived by.
But we must oso b careful not to label our students quickly. We mus always hv faith in all and pray that in time to come - they will succeed.

When Garion first started his music class, he was a disaster. Everybody told me to stop wasting time and money on him and to stop his lessons. I refused. I coax him to practise and taught him patiently. Now he is doing jus as well as Tristan.
Have faith in all. OK!