Sunday, August 5, 2007

Quart-life Crisis

Was watching a documentary on ChannelnewsAsia that day and the topic of Quart-life Crisis was being discussed. What a term! We would have heard about mid-life crisis, about how more matured people are coping with menopause and ageing problems. What is Quart-life Crisis? It's there but I guess that the younger generation refuses to acknowledge that we are actually facing a crisis at such a young age.

I must admit that I could have gone through a Quart-life Crisis myself. I remembered 3 years after working very hard as an auditor in a Big 4 accounting firm, I started to ask myself why am I working so hard, where am I heading to from here. The auditors used to joke that auditors are even worse paid than a Bangladesh construction worker if we go by hourly rate cos we work very long hours. I kept asking myself why couldn't life be simpler, like working regular hours, leaving work at where it is supposed to be (i.e. in the office) after office hours, having time to do something that I like and spending quality time with my loved ones. Asking these bring me nowhere cos I am not doing anything about it. All these escalate to a point in time when I suddenly realized that my life is not working out the way I wanted it to be, but I dunno what to do and dunno which way to go. Maybe this is what they mean by Quart-life Crisis (or is it one-third of life crisis? whatever)..... when we were lost & confused..... Not sure which way to go..... dunno what to do to make things better for us...... and sometimes, don't even know what we want in life.

I'm glad that I made the decision to take a break..... to take life slowly..... to rediscover myself...... to take a step back to see things better...... to do something that I never have a chance to do if I'm still in Singapore...... and I hope this break can help me to live a better life in the way that I wanted it to turn out...... and to walk out of my Quart-life Crisis.

And for those who are facing a crisis...... I pray for you all to find your purpose in life soon and hope that a crisis will never ever happen again.

3 comments:

samshiki said...

Hi gal,
Quart-life crisis... hmm, sounds like we have gone through while we were back in audit days. Glad you r enjoying urself now.
As for cookbook, it's not a dream you know;) you can do it, definitely... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Circle,

I dunno if I am the one who initiated the nick for you. But that's definitely the nick you go by in my phone book.
Your "YUAN" is circle wat; thus the nick. Sometimes when i sms/ MSN the others in our gang, I will sms you as "Circle". But I always correct myself as I dunno if the others can understand who I am referring to. So circle is a private nick I have for you. : )

Unknown said...

Dear 'rescuer', I have been thinking along the same lines whether I am having a crisis now or not. Feels funny not having a full time job and substantial monthly income. But hell, as long as we are doing good and happy, that's more important. On the note of being an auditor & its long hours, you sure made me feel good about leaving behind. I missed the $$$ so much after I resigned!p/s: I can't believe your sis the heroine is surviving with 4 kids ad 0 maid! She just told me over the weekend! The Hero blood runs in your family huh!