Friday, June 29, 2007

The Long Awaited Job

I've waited for a few months for this job!

Yes.... I've waited for about 4 months to start my new "job" as a volunteer with Father Ray Foundation in Pattaya. (Click on my link
for more information on this foundation if u r interested).

I'd always wanted to help the less fortunate. However, due to the hectic worklife and personal commitments, there are limited opportunities for me to truly commit my time to do volunteer work. I could only compensate by participating in ad-hoc charity and community service activities and also, donating a fixed monthly amount to the charity organizations. Although my participation in these voluntary activities was not extensive, these few experiences had enhanced my social awareness towards the less fortunate people. It allowed me to learn to appreciate and work with people's differences. It had also given me a sense of satisfaction when I see the smiles on the faces of those whom I had helped. The opportunity to commit more of my time to do volunteer work came knocking on my door when YH made the decision to take up an overseas posting in Pattaya. This provides me with the great occasion to commit my time to do volunteer work, to help the less fortunate and giving something back to the society. The thought of able to give to others and making a positive difference in their lives makes me HAPPY :-)

Most would have thought that volunteering ourselves would be an easy process. Oops! We are damned wrong! I still remember the difficult application procedures.... need to provide my resume stating my past work experience, at least 2 work references, a statement on why I want to be a volunteer, a voice-recording in English and even a non-criminal record from the S'pore police! Think I took about more than a month to prepare all these. And the co-ordinator really checked on my work references cos my ex-boss informed me that the foundation contacted him to verify my work experience. Wow! The co-ordinator explained that all these are necessary are the foundation needs to ensure that all their volunteers are of certain quality so as to protect the interest of those benefiting from our volunteer services.

Thought I could start the job in April but was told by the co-ordinator that the vacancies were all filled up. I had to wait till July for some volunteers to leave before I can take over their responsibilities. Well well... at least all these are settled now and I'm just waiting patiently for the new job to start. I has been assigned to teach English to the Disabled and also co-teach at their School of Blind. Sounds interesting and I'm really looking forward to it.

Okie, look out for more updates from me. My first day of work is on 9th July 2007.