Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Day 17 in Elephants' Empire

Literally in elephants' empire cos our apartment is right across an Elephants' Park.

All the news on the separatists' potential attacks in this beautiful land or the recent killings of 2 Russian tourists on the popular Jomtien beach of Pattaya, are not affecting the thriving business of this place. Tourists, red from tanning under the bright sun, are still seen walking around in Pattaya.

Am I a tourist or not? I'm not sure too at this point in time. On a tourist visa but trying my best to learn the culture and language of this place cos I'm supposed to stay here for long... No, no... "supposed to" is not the word... HAVE TO...

"I know you may get bored and start to let your thoughts run wild: how you used to spend your time working; how you used to have friends and relatives around you; how you used to be financially independent. But you have to be resilient. You need to know deep down in your heart that you are in Thailand for a purpose, for your family." ~~ This is the parting blessing note that my ex-boss gave me. Very enlightening and it sure touches my heart. Thanks boss.

I've survived 17 days in Pattaya, walking around that few shopping malls, expanding my knowledge by reading up on books, contacting friends and family via the Internet which always fail, watching cable TV which also always have no signals... It's really a challenge doing NOTHING.... challenge myself to stay slim and healthy, challenge myself to keep my brain working, challenge to look at myself and things around differently.

No comments: